The Hartley Inn was built in 1847 in the borough of Carmichaels, Greene County, Pennsylvania. It is located in Lot #47 in the original plan of the town of Lisbon (Carmichaels) and is situated at the southeast corner of the Public Square. The lot fronts 50 feet on Market Street and extends northeastward 150 feet to Spruce Alley. The brick building located on this lot is one of the older structures in the Carmichaels Area.
In 1901, Noah Minor Hartley purchased the property from Henry A. Davidson, executor of Jeremiah Davidson for the sum of $4250.00. Mr. Hartley moved his family to town and on that day the "Hartley Inn" was born.
At the time, the family included his wife, Sarah, a daughter Matilda, a son John Milton and a granddaughter, Bernice Clevenger. With no hotel experience, the family met the challenge "head on" and learned with eagerness and dedication what the public wanted.
In addition to the brick building, there was a frame warehouse, a carriage house, and a stable large enough to accommodate several cows and horses. In connection with the hotel, a livery service was provided which was a carry-over from the Davidson days. At present, Cellular One is located on the land that once was the alley that led to the carriage house.
Noah Hartley died in 1916. Five years later, the Hartley heirs sold the property to Henry S. Hewitt and George Hewitt, Jr. of Uniontown. During the following seventeen years, the Hartley Inn property passed through many owners and the entire first floor of the building took on a new look. The office and parlor were converted into a restaurant, and a kitchen was moved into the large dining room. The family room became a bar, but was later transferred to the front of the building.
In 1938, the Hartley Inn property was returned to Matilda Hartley Clevenger, and the Noah Hartley family was back in business. Matilda H. Clevenger, in 1941 conveyed the property to her daughter, Bernice C. Baily. This tenure ended in 1953 when Ann Riley Debolt purchased the property from Bernice C. Baily. That same year, Ann Riley Debolt sold the property to her brother John Hartley Riley and his wife Eileen Cole Riley.
The exterior of the building was much in need of a face-lift. The original red brick area had been painted yellow and the elements and time had been very unkind. A sand blast machine was used to restore the brick to its original color. The right side of the building was frame. Mr. Riley replaced the area with red bricks from an old house in the area that had been demolished.
The fifteen years that John and Eileen Riley owned the Hartley Inn could be called a period of transformation. The building was extensively remodeled and enlarged. A finished basement replaced a one room cellar from front to back. Central heating was installed. The original kitchen was enlarged allowing for four more rooms on the second floor above. John was a tireless worker, and he always enjoyed what he was doing, but he failed to pay attention to the most important thing -his health. He died in 1968.
In 1969, the Hartley Inn property was sold by Eileen C. Riley to Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Katusa and Mr. and Mrs. John Hoge, of Carmichaels. Later Mr. and Mrs. Hoge sold their interest in the property to Mr. and Mrs. Edward Bogucki. In 1973, the Bogucki's and Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Katusa sold the Hartley Inn to Mr. and Mrs. John Katusa.
In 1988 Dorothy and John Katusa retired the business to their six daughters, Debbie, Melanie, Karen, Dorothy, Johnna and Joetta. Once again, the Hartley Inn was about to take on a new look. The bar area was remodeled and extended to create a larger dining area which seats 70-80 people.
In 1999, Karen Katusa Romah and her husband Philip T. Romah, Jr. bought the remaining shares of the business from by Debbie, Melanie, Dorothy, Johnna and Joetta.
After these many years of playing hostess to the community, The Hartley Inn is still hospitable and gracious. Her progress through the years is a great panorama of successful restaurant and hotel management done with dignity and understanding. The name "Hartley Inn" located on the corner of the public square is still intact and greeting people every day.